Monday, August 25, 2008

APPROACH THE SAND surf camp 4 2008




APPROACH THE SAND surf camp 4 2008


One more time, another swell, this one “FAY”. Arrive just after dawn Thursday morning, and there sure is a little swell from the cane. Nice sets all day Thursday, caught 50+ waves, and nice longish rides 100 yards off the 3rd bar. Catch up on news with Linda my friend for many years and the park ranger, also pay beach rent and vendor pass for the month. Mickey is on his first surf camp duty, my new junk yard dog, to guard surf camp, a 15 pound miniature pincher, he was raised by two young girls and he is spoiled and not very mean. About my luck, but at least he barks, and luckily not loud and not to much, turns out over the weekend he is a good people pooch, just what I wanted, he will also be able to jump into the boat, he is 4. Have replaced more equipment since sinking the sea cow. This camp has my signature new stove and grill the one I am used to, and I built a new chuck box, its deluxe and what I’ve been used to for 17 years. My surf camp is nearly complete again, all I really want now is a different main tent, which I already have picked out. Just raise $3,000.00.
Friday surf still up, Fay has moved into Gulf again its near Alabama. Fun waves all day, in between session, almost finished reading the history of the last Russian Tsar, 500 pages. It disgusts me that a treaty was signed last week with Poland to base our missiles. World Events like this is pretty much what keeps me an surf bum, a professional one I guess, I learned this profession from the Austrian Ski Instructors who where brought over to Sun Valley, Idaho before WWII by Averill Harriman, to keep his clients in good company. These men where great and I new many of them, they were legendary, and their booming voices with accent could be heard all over Baldy mountain during lessons, some of them made a fortune, most of them did well and they all where prema donnas and loved it. They where probably the first ski bums.
I turn on my cell phone twice a month at about 3 p.m. on Friday afternoons, so on it goes in case my private class needs help. And about 7 Laura rings, and about 9 Laura rings, and then about 10 Laura rings, at 9 and 10 I was asleep in the surf mobile with the thing a majig in my hand to wake me, but I must have managed to be coherent because at 11 p.m. everybody arrives.
(SEE KOREAN NAMES in the photos, Monica is Asian and wrote me everyone’s name in that language). All is well Friday night, Hillary and I learn that she came to Shell Bar Kayak camp with Trinity University in 2001, she is with Scott who is a Electrical Engineer and a T A&M graduate.
Saturday it is with effortless ease I get breakfast and cowboy coffee out using the new gear, get ur done before sunrise, let everyone get up when they want. Waves look o.k., Fay not really producing today but still waves out there. Look down the beach and there is a surf contest being held, will go down later. Every one got their drive from Houston over with last night and now have beach time, island time, so no hurry, but later we get boards out and assigned and then each is waxed, and up to the tallest sand dune to view the break and talk surf. No seaweed finally, the drop zone is on the 2nd bar mostly, so I suggest that while the gulf remains glassy way outside, we make it thru the impact zone and go outside 500 yards and I can give them a lesson on how to hang out, I explain that the surfing culture made this phrase 50 years ago. So the proper way to hang out is, once outside is to either sit on your board and just contemplate your luck on being able to be on a top of a top notch longboard with your friends, in warm water with nothing more important to do that wait for a wave to ride. I show them some advanced hanging out, since we are Texans, this is how it is done, you slide off the board, then put your arms across the deck, then rest your chin on the deck and dangle your legs. You let the swells get all the pains out of your back, neck, brain etc. and just look at eyeball level to the water and listen how quiet it is out here.
After this lesson we go on in and get with it. All day long, plus check out surf contest, I mingle with the organizers, I am a business man underneath the cavalier exterior….I know one of the judges and surf with him occasionally and I ask a pretty surfer girl when the Masters event is, she says it is in September.
Late afternoon I’m helping Hillary and she has a little accident and gets a bump on the chin and cuts her inside lip a little, but we finally get her a good ride.
Dinner is knockout, shiskaboobs, corn on the cob, new potatoes. Jeremy later has chocolate chip cookies.
Sunday is so choice the gulf is glassy, but little ride able swell are coming in and every one gets rides, Mickey and I watch from the high tide line, I let Laura use my favorite board and she does well, and she is thrilled to be in surf camp instead of at the office. Luis is using the 11 foot couch potato and is getting some rides, he is no couch potato, 200 pound and practices some judo of some kind. Jeremy was a college swim team member and has power and he gets most every wave he goes for. Monica is very surfer girlish, not petite but almost, so she has to have the moves, and she had them Sunday and was getting some really pretty rides. Scott hadn’t bought a surf shirt and was using a cotton shirt so his takes offs where inhibited do to the drag and he struggled to drop in, so he needs to invest in surf gear next camp. …..great camp……..

No comments: