Thursday, May 28, 2009

2009 FIRST SURF CAMP MAY




The thrill isnt gone: Let me explain, this surfer has not left town for 6 months. Now i had watched an east wind for six days up in town. So when i arrived on the sand and came around the first sand dune, and could see my favorite break, it was big!!!! and had rythm. This is thursday before Memorial Weekend. I pull surf trailer into my favorite spot, in front of Ranger Station. I'm closer now to the break, the seas are alsmost glassy, and the swell is way overhead. Do a few chores tie up guard dog, uload favorite longboard which is already to go and i go. get up on first wave in front of camp after six months of doing real estate development and i wipeout. next wave is at least 100 yard 4 footer. i work my way down to the jpeir and spend two hours getting big rides, - 10 foot drops with about 10 of us out. Next day meet the new Nueces County Parks Director, we talk in my camp under the awning, things are well. Shawn Shulz and Chris Gueriky come into camp a day early to help me tomorrow put up the big tent. Shawn is Tide Guides model student, he surfs with me maybe 6 days a year, for 5 years now, and he is over the learning curve. So i push him so that someday when we get big surf he can get out there. Chris has a home garden and really produces a crop and has brought many vegatables and berries etc. for the camp to enjoy this weekend. His surfing is evolving, this is second season, in his recent life he shed over 70 pounds of his body and is looking trim. Victor and Rhoda arrive and Christian. I heard from Elizabeth, and she is going to be a day late. Every one gets a lesson Saturday afternoon, and the swell is still out there only half as big as yesterday, but excellent for biginners, so i get them going knowing the swell will be gone by monday. We eat well and surf well and enjoy this fabulous trip......

No comments: